We've been documenting key take-aways from a UPS / Global Chamber seminar with Mike Flanary of Universal Laser Systems. We held the event for top executives on growing globally, including exporting.
Thanks to our members and the UPS community for attending! Over half the battle is just showing up and being present.
We've documented some of Mike's thoughts below in this 3rd of 3 posts.
Wednesday: Get Ready to Go Global
Thursday: School of Global Hard Knocks
Today: 10 Tips on Global Strategy
10 Tips on Global Strategy
1) Have an Innate Global Bias. Think globally. Yes, that means differently. Global Chamber members get it.
2) Work with the Right Partners. Know who you want, do due diligence, and manage carefully.
3) Know Your Key Metrics and Manage to Them. Keep track and make adjustments along the way.
4) Hire Locally, but Have a Consistent Culture. Know your corporate culture and don't sway from it, and keep local needs in mind.
5) Remember You Don't Have to be Everywhere. For your business, everywhere likely won't make sense. Go where you're needed.
6) Be Migrating Everything to the Web. The world is changing... 29% of purchases are on the web, increasing to 80% by 2020.
7) Make a Long Term Investment. Have a good plan, execute meticulously and stick to it. Make course corrections but stay the course.
8) Scale. Continually adjust your operations to leverage duplicated processes. Streamline processes. Be lean and nimble.
9) Surround Yourself with the Right Global People. Join the Global Chamber for the right bankers, lawyers and global tribers.
10) Be patient and impatient. Don't settle - make adjustments along the way. And in the end always be patient as you grow.
Enjoy the entire series of thoughts, hard knocks and tips!
Thank you to Mike Flanary of Universal Laser Systems. Also thanks to UPS and their regional team for collaborating on this seminar.
Be global and UNSTOPPABLE. Learn more about joining the global tribe HERE.
Universal Laser Systems maintains state-of-the-art engineering and manufacturing facilities at their global headquarters in Scottsdale, Arizona, where both lasers and laser systems are manufactured and exported all over the world. Additional operating offices are located in Vienna, Austria and Yokohama, Japan. The Universal Laser Systems Global Factory Authorized Service network is on call around the globe for local system installation, service and maintenance.
UPS works with retailers to help solve their problems. As a global shipping expert serving more than 220 countries, UPS is helping break down the barriers retailers face in selling products to online consumers around the world. We leverage our global expertise to help streamline everything from packaging to fulfillment to returns – to make a direct impact on their bottom line and provide superior customer experience to their customers. With 95% of the world's consumers living outside of the United States, UPS continues to develop technologies and solutions to give consumers a competitive advantage in the global marketplace.
Global Chamber helps companies grow from anywhere to everywhere... 525 metros around the world.