2019 marks the 10 year anniversary of the Korea West Exchange Program, and Cultural Vistas has been a sponsor of WEST participants since its first round in 2009.
The Korea WEST program provides top South Korean university students and young professionals the opportunity to intern, complete an intensive English study program, and explore the life and culture of the United States through immersion and independent travel.
As part of Cultural Vistas’ sponsorship, Korea WEST scholars come to the United States for up to 18 months for a personalized exchange experience, which includes: English language training and acculturation, placement in professional internships, and the opportunity to travel and sight-see before returning home.
Read more about the program below and on the Cultural Vista's website here. You must be a U.S.-based company to participate.
We're pleased to work with Global Chamber®, and we have placed two interns at their headquarters so far. We are open to working with members of Global Chamber® that fit the requirements for the program, anywhere in the United States.
- Korea WEST participants have completed at least two years of university studies or are recent graduates across a range of educational backgrounds that have been competitively selected by South Korea’s Ministry of Education. Once they arrive in the United States, they enroll in up to four months of English language instruction and cultural training, before beginning internships that can vary from 4-12 months.
- All participants hold a J-1 Visa issued by the U.S. Department of State that allows them to intern with U.S. companies within the framework of the program.
Host Company Benefits:
- The exchange of culture, knowledge, and perspectives between U.S. staff and WEST participants is often invaluable
- There are no program fees for host companies
- Internships can vary in length from 4 to 12 months
- Participants enter the United States with all the necessary training documents
- Cultural Vistas’ staff pre-screens students to assess English language abilities
- Our team is available throughout the internship experience to provide support to both participants and hosts
- Comprehensive medical insurance coverage for participants
- 24-hour emergency support for participants
Just a note, there is no payment requested or required for this program, and the participants have visa sponsorship through Cultural Vistas. Regarding internship compensation, participants may be eligible for a Korean government stipend during their internship, but additional compensation (ie: monetary or non-monetary) is at the discretion of the host company.
If interested, please complete the New Host Company Survey and someone from the Cultural Vistas’ Korea WEST team will follow-up to schedule a phone screening to discuss internship interests and answer questions about the program!
Contact me at Cultural Vistas here or reach out to Global Chamber® for more information.
Thank you! Emily Kessel